Genre: Thriller, Drama
A married couple are separately lured to a remote location by a gifted but troubled composer, who uses music to reveal his hidden agenda.
Joel: Russell Batcher
Lewis: Peter Nelson
Narrator: Carina Cojeen
Rachel: Elizabeth Owens Skidmore
Archibald: David Straus
Chiara: Ariel Booker
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
THE PLAYLISTS is about a married couple who are separately lured to remote cottage by Lewis, a troubled but gifted musician. Lewis has links to the couple from his past and wants closure for wrongs that occurred. Lewis has serious psychological problems and has befriended three imaginary muses, two of which help him compose music. The dark muse, Archibald, has influenced Lewis to devise the sinister plan, whist Clara, the good muse, tries to dissuade him to surrender his disturbing plan.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
THE PLAYLISTS is primarily a psychological thriller but can also be defined as a mystery drama.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
THE PLAYLISTS is unique in nature and though it doesn’t have the typical twist found in most thrillers, it is raw and unnerving. From a production point of view, it wouldn’t be very expensive to make and I can definitely see it generating some great profits at the box office.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I’ve had the idea in my mind for over ten years. I outlined the plot about three years ago and finished the script last year.
7. How many stories have you written?
Three and currently working on a fourth.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Return to Innocence by Enigma but probably listened to You Spin Me Round (Like a record) by Dead or Alive, the most.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The dilemma of deciding on the type of ending; I have three alternatives. I feel that most viewers are waiting for a twist and that this is wearing a little bit thin, so I went with a somewhat predictable ending, but also isn’t. It’s type of ending you’d expect would happen but will catch viewers off guard by waiting for a twist. The prospecting of catching the audience of guard appeals to me.
Time was also another obstacle. I have a demanding corporate role, so finding the time and headspace to write was definitely challenging.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Health and fitness, travelling and music.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
My experience with the FilmFreeway platform has been positive. Everything is detailed and clear to follow. I also really like that you can conveniently see the history and outcome of festivals entered.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I entered my screenplay to about five screenwriting festivals. THE PLAYLISTS was shortlisted in three of the five competitions and made the quarter finals for each. I was pleased with this result as this has been my first submission of a screenplay.
The tone of the feedback is quite constructive and confirmed some of the doubts I had in my plot, so I revised accordingly.
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Kierston Drier
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: Kimberly Villarruel
Camera Op: Mary Cox